Last updated on 5th June 2015
If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use StoryNexus. If you have any queries, please email us at email@example.com.
1. Failbetter Games is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
A quick word about children
3. We recognise we have a special obligation to protect personal information we obtain from children. We do not and will not knowingly collect information from any unsupervised child under the age of 13. In certain countries, prior written permission or other verifiable consent may also be required from a parent or guardian for children under the age of 18.
The data controller
4. For data collection purposes, the data controller is Failbetter Games Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with number 07121579.
Information we may collect from you
5. We respect your right to privacy and will only process personal information you provide to us in accordance with applicable privacy laws, such as the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 within the EU.
6. The kinds of data which we may process in order to monitor our Service and improve your user experience include:
- Your email address.
- Your screen name and profile picture.
- Technical or other details about any device which you use to access the Services: Internet and/or network connection (including your IP address, Media Access Control (MAC); operating system, browser type or other software; hardware; or other technical details.
- Details of your use of StoryNexus including, but not limited to: traffic data, location/geographical data, the Service resources that you access, the time you spend on the Service, crash reports and reasons for connection drops.
7. We may collect and process data about you through the following means:
- Data that you provide to us as part of obtaining access to our Services (for example, signing up for a StoryNexus account, or providing a support email address for a World which you have created).
- Information provided when you report a problem with any of the Services.
We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
8. We may collect this data through our Services or third party services connected with them.
Uses made of your information
11. We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To authenticate with the Service: this may include email address, password, Twitter authentication name and tokens, Facebook authentication name and tokens. We do not share this information with third parties.
- To ensure that content from the Service is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or other device from which you access the Service.
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, if you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To perform our obligations from any contracts entered into with you.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service, if you choose.
- To notify you about changes to our Service.
- We may use your authentication information to find your contacts on social networks, and allow you to invite them to join you in the Service. We will not do this without your active consent.
- We may use your authentication information to allow you to message other users. We will not do this without your active consent.
12. Please remember that any communications you have via our Service may reveal details about you, including for example your account name and/or the content of your communications to other users.
13. We are not responsible for the activities of other users or other third parties to whom you choose to provide your personal information (whether via our Service or otherwise).
Disclosure of your information
14. We may disclose your personal information to any member of our existing or future group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
15. We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- If you have created a world, your username may be displayed in connection with that world.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by us about our customers will be a transferred asset.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms; or to protect our rights, property, or the safety of our customers or of others.
- We may share aggregated information that does not include personal information for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any information shared in these contexts will be anonymised.
16. We will not use your information for third party marketing purposes.
Third party sites
17. Our Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. These websites have their own privacy policies. Please note that if you follow a link to any of these websites, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies, nor do we endorse such websites.
18. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we delete your personal information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honour your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records if required to do so by law or for legitimate business purposes.
19. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. We will do our best to protect your personal information but we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Services - any transmission is at your own risk. We will use procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access to your information.